About the Coding Experience program
The Igalia Coding Experience is a grant program that gives students with a background in Computer Science, Information Technology and Free Software their first exposure to the professional world, working hand in hand with Igalia programmers and learning with them.
Coding Experience positions
Coding Experience positions are currently closed.
In the 2021 edition of the Coding Experience program, the areas to apply were the following:
- Implementation of web standards: The goal for the student is to become familiar with and contribute to the implementation of W3C standards in open-source browser engines.
- WebKit: WebKit is one of the most important open-source browser engines. The goal for the student is to have the opportunity to join its community and help with different tasks inside it, being them related to maintenance or contributing to the development of new features.
- Chromium: Chromium is the well-known open source basis for the Chrome web browser. The goal for the student is to contribute directly to this project upstream by working on specific tasks, such as those required to advance the development of relevant components and new features (e.g. Chromium on Wayland), fix relevant bugs as well as to help improve the infrastructure supporting the project (e.g. testing).
- Multimedia and GStreamer: GStreamer is one of the leading open-source multimedia frameworks. The goal for the student is to help to develop video editing support in GStreamer (namely GES and NLE). This work includes adding new features and fixing bugs in GStreamer, GStreamer Editing Services and the Pitivi video editor.
- Graphics: The student will have the opportunity to work on the Raspberry Pi driver stack for Vulkan and/or OpenGL. The student could work in any and all of: feature-development to improve the API support of the driver, improving the window system (X/Wayland) integration of the driver, improving the performance of the driver, and improving the testing of the driver.
We also welcome other topics of interest within each area.
Conditions and compensation
This program is for students who wish to gain initial professional experience while they are studying. Igalia expressly invites women (both cis and trans), trans men, and genderqueer people to apply. The Coding Experience program gives preference to applications coming from underrepresented groups in our industry.
Our ideal candidates are highly-motivated to work on Free Software projects; bonus points for existing contributions to any Free Software project related to our areas of specialization, including participation in its community.
The specific conditions of our Coding Experience program are:
- Mentorship by one of the Igalia’s outstanding open source contributors in the field.
- It is remote-friendly. Students can participate in it wherever they live.
- Hours: 450h
- Compensation: 6,500€
- Usual timetables:
- 3 months full-time
- 6 months part-time
- 1 year for 10 hours per week
The Igalia Coding Experience program in 2021 is currently closed.
We may organize a second enrollment window, which would take place during the second semester of the year (aiming to match the summer in the southern hemisphere).